Posts Tagged ‘internet protection software’
In today’s online atmosphere of spam, viruses, spyware, Trojan horses and other security threats, Internet protection has become omnipresent in the minds of both home computer users and company network administrators. In recent years, the growing threat from these phenomena have revealed the vulnerability of our computers and the old Web infrastructures.
Unfortunately, every time Internet users or software companies find a new way to combat Web nuisances, it seems that viruses, spam, and spyware find new ways to enter our computers. Just as our software evolves, they seem to stay one step ahead of us. For this reason, it’s essential for today’s Web user to take a proactive approach against these threats.
Internet protection is not just a matter of playing defense. According to many Web theorists, computer security is a three-step approach: Prevention, detection, and response. The best Web security systems utilize each of these steps, and when looking for PC security software, one should always look for packages that do each of these three things. Here are just some of the steps required for in today’s Internet protection world:
Internet Protection Tips
1. Even before proactive Web-based actions are taken, it’s important for today’s computer user to install the most secure software. For example, for most PC users, Internet Explorer is the default Web browser that comes installed on most computers — yet most tech-savvy Web-users know that Internet Explorer is in fact quite insecure, and that there are many better Web browsers available for purchase or for free download. Mozilla Firefox is perhaps the most popular alternative.
2. Computer security software packages are produced by countless companies, both large and small. Before connecting to the Internet, it’s important for a computer user to take the vast array of options into account. All software packages differ from one another, even if only in subtle ways, and each computer user should find the one that best suits his or her needs. PC magazines are a great source for reviews of this software, and, of course, tons of information is available on the Web.
3. One important Internet security software is antivirus. This software protects your computer from viruses, which can slow down your computer, cause strange things to happen, or, at their worst, crash your hard drive. As viruses are constantly evolving, it’s important for your antivirus software to have a virus definition-updating component.
4. Antispyware software is also an important aspect of Internet protection software. Spyware is software that clandestinely installs itself to a computer, without the knowledge of the user. In most cases, it steals information from the computer to which it is attached, sending the data back to some malicious source. This component is essential for maintaining your online privacy.
5. Antispam software is also sometimes included in Internet security packages. Spam primarily includes unwanted emails sent to your inbox, but as email security has become better, spammers are always finding new, annoying ways to invade your PC world. High-quality antispam software is also available for download on the Web.
6. Finally, it’s good to set up a software firewall on your computer. Firewalls prevent unauthorized users to access your computer through its many ports, or through a wireless network.
Of course, the definitions and requirements of Internet protection are always changing. Who knows? In a few years, we might need to add a few more PC security items to this list. The creators and purveyors of Web nuisances and threats are always finding new ways to annoy us and to compromise the security of our computers. Thus, it’s important to keep abreast of all of the developments in Internet protection.